Self-Care at BMC is an BMC-led initiative that focuses in seven committee-selected areas to encourage a culture of health, balance and wellness for the entire Bryn Mawr community.
The seven areas of self-care can also be expressed by the acronym EPSIOSE:
- Description: Emotion means being aware of your feelings and being able to express them in a way comfortable to you.
- Examples include: talking to loved ones, talking aloud to yourself, listening to music that makes you feel a certain way, etc.
- Description: The physical aspect of self-care is using resources to provide your body with stimulation in multiple forms.
- Examples include: going to the gym, using dining services, visiting the health center, meeting with the dietician, etc.
- Description: The social side of self-care works with interpersonal relationships as well as activities and events that let you enjoy yourself.
- Examples include: club events, parties, events outside the Bryn Mawr bubble, hanging out with friends, etc.
- Description: Addressing the “thinker” in you is another way of engaging in the intellectual side of self-care.
- Examples include: reading a book, partaking in a discussion or just sitting down to think, let the intellectual in you out.
- Description: Occupations are not restricted to your career after college; they can include all of the activities you partake in right now.
- Examples include: Participation in clubs, leadership roles, jobs, volunteering positions and other initiatives you may have taken on.
- Description: Being mindful and acknowledging your value systems comprises the spiritual side of self-care.
- Examples include: religious practice, meditation or any other way that you become attuned to yourself.
- Description: The environmental aspect of self-care means acknowledging what aspects of the environment are meaningful to you.
- Examples include: interacting with nature, spending time with pets and family, etc.
Join the Bryn Mawr community in promoting a culture of health, balance and wellness! Learn more at our Self-Care at BMC Facebook page or by following us @selfcarebmc!